This summer the boys and I have had a couple of weeks (one more to come at the end of August) to just be. We had no agenda, no plans, no schedules. It was bliss! I feel so lucky that I had this time to just hang out with them.
We packed a lot of fun into those two weeks, but we also made sure we had plenty of time to be lazy. We slept in, played endlessly, took naps, read books, practiced instruments. Julian diligently worked through his homework packet in these two weeks (Summer homework? Really? I can’t believe that’s a thing!).
At some point this summer it occurred to me that the boys have been spending an intense amount of time together. Ever since their last day of school, they have been together all day every day – until this week, when they are apart for some parts of the day in different camps. Book Club for Julian, Theater for Arthur. When I ask them about their days, the first thing I hear is, “We ate lunch together!” or “We played soccer together in the park!” It just makes my heart explode.
Do the kids explode? Yes. They blow up, occasionally. As any person who spends all their time with another person would. I am in fact surprised they haven’t killed each other yet, but quite the opposite, they seem to be in sync 85% of the time. The other 15% of the time are very annoying for everyone.
What else did we do? Lots of stuff. We went to the pool a lot, hit the beach with our friends, played lots and lots of soccer, went to the Transit Museum, ate our weight in ice cream, played lots of card and board games, went to the movies, skateboarding, and Julian decided to get a hair cut.
We also spent a weekend in Delaware, where the boys played soccer in 500% humidity in the yard with their cousins, but the ultimate highlight was when we all went tubing down the Brandywine Creek. The water was so clear, so refreshing, the cooler so full of beer, and the kids so very happy. Photos courtesy of disposable cameras which, shockingly, are ridiculously expensive, crappy in quality, and difficult to get developed.
Also, the boys tried out for another Brooklyn soccer team, because the one we had our eyes on at first couldn’t get themselves organized unfortunately. So they made this other team as well, and we have committed to soccer practice two afternoons a week as well as a game on weekends, occasionally. What can I say? They just live for soccer.
The last weekend before I headed back to work we spent a day in Central Park. It was Summer Streets, so Julian got to ride his bike all the way to the park and back. Arthur, too, rode his bike over the bridge, but we locked it up in Manhattan and picked it up at the end of the day. Kid on bike with no gears and tiny wheels just can’t keep up.
We spent the day in the park – picnicking, zoo-ing, soccer-ing, boat-ing.
Yesterday I returned to work and the boys were off to camp, happy as can be. Well, for the most part. In the morning Arthur had had a change of heart about theater camp and said something to the effect, “What am I supposed to do all day? Just stand there and juggle?!” As if we had booked him into Clown Camp. Maybe next year, son.
When I picked him up, he happily declared that it was “the best theater camp ever!” (Also the only one he’s ever been in.) Julian loves books and is happy in his Book Club. As for me? I’m happy to be back at work and also very happy to have another week of summer fun with my boys to look forward to before school starts.